Smalley Laminar Sealing Retaining Rings
A Smalley Laminar Seal Retaining Ring is a metallic
labyrinth seal consisting of multiple rings in a groove.
This arrangement of the rings and the specific orientation
of the rings are dictated by the application and the
severity of the environment. They are often used
as an alternative means of sealing components in
assemblies from sources of contamination.
Advantages of Smalley Laminar Sealing Rings
• No friction with other rotating components; ideal for high speed applications.
• Prevents dirt and splash water from contaminating components.
• When used in conjunction with other seals, Laminar Seals provide a primary seal against severe contamination before the contaminants come in contact with the secondary seal.
• Sets of multiple rings provide an efficient labyrinth seal.
• Rings may be produced from a wide variety of alloys to withstand more severe conditions including higher temperatures and corrosive environments.
• As a metallic mechanical seal they can outperform rubber seals in durability and life expectancy.
• The change from rubber to metal reduces the need for frequent seal replacement.
Single-Turn Laminar Sealing Rings
Used in a variety of applications, the Smalley single-turn laminar seal rings are well-suited for light to medium duty applications depending on the ring configuration specified. The sets are comprised of single-turn rings in either 3-rings per set or 5-rings per set configurations. 3-ring sets are typically are used to protect components from low dirt and low splash water contamination; 5-ring sets provide a better labyrinth seal to protect components from medium dirt and medium splash water contamination. The standard single-turn laminar rings listed below are readily available from stock. Specials are also available with No-Tooling-Charges™.
Double-Turn Laminar Sealing Rings
Double-Turn Laminar Sealing Rings offer a higher clamping force when installed in the bore or on the shaft. They are suited for higher operating speeds, have 360° contact (no axial gap) and should be used where application conditions are more severe. For example, an application where high amounts of dirt and dust are present and the ring sets provide the necessary seal against contamination from outside elements. They are also used to protect contacting radial seals, rubber seals, O-rings and other oil seals. The sets are comprised of double-turn rings in either 3-rings per set or 5-rings per set configurations. 2-ring sets are typically used to protect components from medium dirt and medium splash water contamination; 3-ring sets provide a better labyrinth seal to protect components from heavy dirt and heavy splash water contamination. The standard double-turn laminar rings listed below are readily available from stock. Specials are also available with No-Tooling-Charges™.
To view several sample applications including a coupling,
bearing, idler pulley and high speed spindle, please open
the following PDF:
Connect with Smalley
© 2023 RotoPrecision Inc.